Advantages & Disadvantages of School Reopening in India – Are We Really Ready ??
September 05, 2021
With drop in new COVID-19 cases across the nation, many state governments have allowed school reopening in their respective states from 1st September onwards. School reopening in places like Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Telangana, Puducherry etc. will adhere to covid protocol as per the government-necessitated guidelines.
With school reopening in India - by following safety & precautions as per the covid protocol, students will develop a good habit of cleanliness and personal hygiene that will prevent them from falling ill and protect them from infectious diseases such as COVID-19, colds, and flu. Following covid protocol will also help in preventing the spread of germs and infectious diseases to other people.
Advantages of School Reopening in India
- Students who didn’t have a personal laptop/tablet or faced internet connectivity issues during online classes will benefit from school reopening
- Low-income students who didn’t have quiet, comfortable place to study will now be able to focus properly on their lessons
- School reopening will allow face-to-face collaboration and allow students to learn with others
- With school reopening, students will travel to school and back home which will make them physically active
- School reopening will allow students to interact with their teachers and clarify their doubts in physical classes which will boost their confidence
- The joy of meeting their classmates with school reopening will making learning fun which will enhance their learning outcomes
- School reopening will allow students to adapt to school life of the new normal by getting used to following safety & precautions as per the covid protocol
Disadvantages of School Reopening in India
- With school reopening, it is difficult to ensure that students obey social distancing and other safety & precautions once they meet their classmates in physical classes
- School students have not been vaccinated yet; they can be carriers of coronavirus – though coronavirus may not affect them, there are chances that they may transmit the virus to the older faculty and staff
- Since teachers and school staff who fall in the age group of 18-45 years have got only their first dose of COVID-19 vaccination, school reopening may lead to a viral resurgence if covid protocol is not followed by everyone.
Safety & Precautions as per Covid Protocol to be Followed for Physical Classes
The decision of school reopening with adherence to covid protocol has been taken to ensure equity and quality in education. As parents, you need to be proactive and secure your kid’s Health.
Prepare your kids for school reopen and educate them to follow safety & precautions as per covid protocols.
- All the schools set to reopen will operate at 50 percent capacity
- All the teaching, non-teaching staff, drivers of buses, cabs, and auto-rickshaws ferrying the students to and from schools need to get at least the first dose of COVID-19 vaccination
- To attend in-person classes at school, students will need to produce consent letters from their parents
- Since most of the states have made attendance voluntary, students can opt to continue attending online classes without any effect on attendance
- Students and teachers will undergo thermal scanning at the entry gate
- All the schools will sanitise their premises regularly and keep extra stocks of masks for students
- Everybody will bring food and drinking water from their home and eat lunch in their respective classrooms
- Quarantine centre to be set up in schools for emergency use
- Schools should avoid conducting assembly prayers & sports activities and maintain proper social distancing
- Wherever possible, schools to plan short duration classes so that the students need not stay for longer hours in school
- To maintain social distance, schools can plan classes in two shifts
- Blended learning model to be embraced by all states to offer both online and physical/offline classes